Why? This word is key to reaching my weight loss goal. I realized that I wrote that I’d write about the reasons I want to lose weight in the last post and I never did…oops. I get sidetracked a lot, so get prepared for that!
There are several reasons that I want to lose weight, but here are some of the biggest (haha) ones:
1. I have been overweight/obese since I was in about 4th or 5th grade, and I’ve been made fun of for it. Not fun, y’all. I’m guessing if you’re reading this blog, you may have had the same experience. Also, you won’t hear any excuses about it from me; I will always blame myself completely and totally for being overweight–I always ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, in huge huge amounts. No wonder I got fat! (I did discover at some point in college that I am hypothyroid, which I tried to use as an excuse for a while. But let’s face it, folks, being hypothyroid in and of itself didn’t cause me to balloon up to 273 lbs last year!) I’m ready to be in the “normal” category on the BMI chart!
2. I want to be healthier. Obviously, I wanna look good in a bathing suit. Duh. But I also want to have great cholesterol, great blood pressure, and great lipid counts for the rest of my life! I am actually quite healthy right now for my weight being so high, but I don’t want to put myself in any kind of high-risk situation, ever. Especially for diabetes!
3. I want to have kids. Not like a million of them but maybe like one or two of them or so? I have *heard* (I am not a doctor so nothing I say in this blog should be taken as a fact!) that it is sometimes more difficult to get pregnant while overweight, and that being overweight while pregnant is not the most pleasant thing in the world. Whether or not this is true (as everyone is different), I want to have a fit pregnancy for myself and my baby.
4. I want to fit in to the ##*$&@*#%& seatbelts on airplanes. Right now, I currently fit in them but it is a tight tight squeeze. You know when you buy a can of store-bought biscuits and you open it and they start popping out? Yeah. That. NOT OK.
5. I want to go to Europe and not have everyone automatically know by looking at me that a. I am American and b. I am from the Midwest. Obviously I understand here that there are healthy, fit people in the Midwest and that there are fat people in Europe…but let’s be honest, who’s in the majority in that situation?
6. Yeah, so about that bathing suit…
7. I want to be an outdoorsy person! I love to go camping and kayaking and all that stuff now, but I think my options are still limited. I want to go on a hike up a mountain and
not die do a victory dance when I get to the top!
At any rate, those are the main reasons that I want to lose weight. I have tried to do this before and “fallen off the wagon.” This time, however, I’ve realized that it’s OK to fall off the wagon every so often, as long as I pick myself up and don’t quit. Determination is key, and I have a LOT of it! If I keep these reasons in the forefront of my mind, I know that I’ll be successful. Hope everyone is having a FANTASTIC weekend! It sure is hot where we are!